[X Newbies] Oops! Another Samba Panic

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 19:40:13 PST 2003

At 8:35p -0800 2003.02.12, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>Well, I did it again.

Synchronicity. So did I. Got onto my train, flipped her open and...

><snip>
>I remembered that I had connected to a Windows server via the built-in Samba
>(OS 10.2.3) and forgot to eject it before I left my day-job.

I'd used DAVE. Same difference.

>Sometimes after doing this, if I leave the computer alone it will discover
>the problem after about 10 minutes and give me a StopAlert saying that "the
>server blah-blah has disconnected".  Then it is back to normal.  Other
>times, I end up doing a force relaunch on the Finder, a logout or a restart.
>Today it took a restart.

Likewise. Cost me six minutes plus the time I spent hoping it'd just
timeout _before_ doing the restart. Plus the time to get the apps
back up just as I needed them.

>First of all, I'd like to comment that I think this is due to really bad
>design and I hope Apple fixes it someday soon.  It's a fact of life that
>computers are connected by radio and/or wires and that these things often
>break, and that remote servers sometimes shut down, and therefore any
>communication protocol should be designed to recognize when links break and
>gracefully get on with life after a short timeout.

Amen. And the really sad part is that a similar flaw existed even
with connection to TCP/IP under OS 9.

>Second, seeing that we are stuck with this until at least OS 10.2.4, does
>anyone know of a reliable way to manually tell this thing to give up on a
>disconnected Samba server?  One thing that definitely does not work is to
>try and eject it in the Finder after it's been disconnected.  Clicking on a
>disconnected Samba server seems to increase the panic.

None of which I'm aware. I really wish that there was a panic button
which would present aan opportunity to do drastic things that one
might absolutely want to happen, no matter how inadvisable.
CMD-OPT-ESC does it for running applications. Perhaps it could have a
tabbed interface and have a tab for shares, another for print jobs,
another for copy/moves. Just allow me to make it go away, interrupt
everything when I say so, and let me tell you what to do. Dammit <g>.

Speaking of which, that was my 2nd restart in one day - I opened a
folder containing notes and tips, mistakenly CMD-a, selecting all,
then dragged to the desktop. I really omly intended to drag one item
onto DevonThink in the Dock but alas. One thousand, eight hundred and
eighty-one items onto the desktop! It took 55 minutes before I could
get things back to normal. But that's a story for another day...
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]