[X Newbies] Crash city

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Sat Mar 15 00:13:13 PST 2003

I just "read the docs". The only limitation blamed on the OS in the
August 2002 version of the user guide is as follows:

"If the fax transmission fails for any reason (including a busy
signal), you will have to recreate the fax in the original application
using the steps  above. This is due to a limitation in Mac OS X, not
FAXstf X."

This is a rather questionable claim, at best, as the job of creating
and destroying temp files and the task of handling results feedback
from a fax modem belong to the application, not the OS. The only way
this is likely to be caused by the OS is if applications are blocked
from monitoring the fax modem. And, if this were true, how would FAXstf
know when to start sending data if the call went through and
negotiations succeeded? Furthermore, there are other fax options that
can resend on failure. What's their secret? Voodoo? In any case, the
currently shipping version of FAXstf does not suffer from this
limitation.

Finally, if your statement following the second quoted question is
meant to be in reply, then you are apparently claiming that the
non-availability of GlobalFax for X is a limitation within OS X and
that that non-availability leads to a lack of acceptance of FAXstf.
Clearly, the exact opposite should be the case.