[X Newbies] Login Items - Where are they?

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 25 10:07:06 PST 2003

on 03/03/25 07:51, Chris Foote at foote at chem.ucla.edu wrote:

>> I just restarted and found that all of my Login Items have disappeared.  I
>> have a suspect to blame for this, but at the moment I just want to restore
>> my Login Items.
>>
>> I have a bootable Firewire backup.  When I restart on it, all my Login Items
>> load as desired.  It seems that I should be able to restore the list of
>> Login Items from this backup, but where are they?  I thought they would be
>> in my home folder's "Login Items", but that folder is empty, even on my
>> backup disk, even if I use Terminal or "show hidden and system files".
>>
>> Does anyonw know where has Apple hidden the Login Items?

> System->Library->PreferencePanes->LoginItems.prefPane

Chris, I don't think so.  This "LoginItme.prefPane" file seems to be the
same on both my built-in drive and my backup drive, even though my account
boots with different login items from these two disks.  When I "Get Info" on
these two files, they look the same:

408 KB on disk (182,125 bytes)
Created: 2002 July 27 01:15
Modified: 2003 Jan 02 10:22
Version: 1.1.2

The modification date, two months ago, may be from the 10.2.3 or 10.2.4
update.  So I believe these are read-only system files and do not contain
any info regarding my login items.

Since login items are different for each user, it seems to me that the info
should be somewhere in my home folder.  If it was in the System folder it
would have to somehow be identified with my short name, i.e. like my crontab
var/cron/tabs/jk.

Comments?

Jerry