[X Newbies] Conceptualizing Desktop

cheshirekat cheshirekat at cheshirekat.com
Sun May 4 16:38:46 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003, William Lane wilann at telusplanet.net, invoked powers
within the internet realm, to proclaim ...

>I put a folder on the Desktop called Downloads and set it as above. All
>my downloads go there. I have one other folder on my desktop called
>Limbo, it is for the stuff that I'm just not sure of, the stuff that is
>'in limbo'.

I also have a "In Limbo" folder ... it's called 'Desktop', but my
downloads don't go to the Desktop.

I haven't used my Desktop in weeks - it takes a while for me to get
around to figuring out what all that stuff is that is "In Limbo" in my
Desktop. Those were actually placed there before I found replacements for
the Dock. Now I use a combination of QuicKeys, Quick Access CM, and
RoadBook (freeware).

What I find frustrating is that ie can't seem to remember where my
downloads are supposed to go. Last month, I created a "April Downloads"
folder within a "Downloads" folder. Last week, I was still reminding it
where to put my new downloads. I don't know why this preference doesn't
stick. I always change the download location in the Internet pref pane
before the ie prefs but ie still can't get it right so I have to check it
constantly or right-click to download, which doesn't always work if it
isn't a direct download. I didn't have these organization problems using
9 on my old Mac. But now I have speed, so I'll get over it.