[X Newbies] Conceptualizing Desktop

Steve St-Laurent st-laur at telus.net
Tue May 6 00:14:10 PDT 2003

I had suggested:

There's nothing mysterious about the OS X Desktop other than

Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net> replied:
> Okay ... thanks. But how do I open documents from within Classic
> applications? They aren't seeing my User's folder because they
> are operating in OS9. I made an alias of my main document folder
> called "Desk Drawer" and put it in the User's folder but unfortunately
> the alias doesn't work from within Classic.

Hmm, I just made an alias of my own home folder [it's inside the Users
folder] and put it on the Desktop. Then I switched to an OS9
application [Acrobat 4.0], went Open-->Desktop-->steve's-alias and
everything was available in my folder

> If I put the original "Desk Drawer" folder in Documents, will it
> disappear on
> rebooting into OS9?

Wait, you're booting in OS9, not using Classic?

> Don't tell me to abandon OS9 because I still can't do screenshots
> yet in OSX that Photoshop can open. That's only the one thing.

Photoshop [5.0+, I think] will open OS X screen dumps, not by
doubleclicking but by either the Open command or dragging the
screendump onto the Photoshop icon. But, agreed, many of us still need
Classic for other reasons.

I'm on digest, so others might already have cleared this up.