[X Newbies] Conceptualizing Desktop

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Tue May 6 03:37:09 PDT 2003

At 12:14 AM -0700 5/6/03, Steve St-Laurent wrote:
>Hmm, I just made an alias of my own home folder [it's inside the Users
>folder] and put it on the Desktop. Then I switched to an OS9
>application [Acrobat 4.0], went Open-->Desktop-->steve's-alias and
>everything was available in my folder

I'm trying to open from within Photoshop 6.0. I go open->Desktop->
alias and the alias won't open.

>Wait, you're booting in OS9, not using Classic?

I'm doing a bit of both. When I'm doing a lot of screenshots, I reboot
into OS9. When I'm tired of X, I boot into 9. I'm still much more familiar
with 9.

I also want to make sure all my work can be transferred from X to
9 and back again because the laptop is still on 9. I will move it to
X but need to doublecheck the RAM, decide on partioning or no,
and get the OS on that from 9.0.4 to 9.1 (took me three days to
d/l 9.1; haven't installed it yet) and I prolly should then after
this upgrade to 9.2.2 before trying to install X.

(I thought I'd maxed the RAM on the iBook Graphite at 320 but
I'm hearing you can take it to 512 now. It ought to be fine at
320, right? The G4 was on 384 and came with OSX and ran
just fine. Well, maybe - I used it twice and got a kernel
panic which I don't get with it at 800ish megs RAM as it is
now.

>> Don't tell me to abandon OS9 because I still can't do screenshots
>> yet in OSX that Photoshop can open. That's only the one thing.

Many thanks for everyone's comments.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz | Graphite iMac 333mHz