[X Newbies] Conceptualizing OSX was Desktop

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Tue May 6 16:29:54 PDT 2003

Thanks to all who gave me so much useful help on this topic.

I realize I should have entitled this post "Conceptualizing
OSX System, App & File Structure" not Desktop.

If I'm dragging this out, just don't answer this post, I'll
figure it out, wink-wink.

I'm thinking OS9 was linear, from Hard Drive all the way
down to a single file.

Is OSX more like a web site, with interlocking nodes?
Maybe I should sketch my OSX setup like a web site
hierarchy with lines indicating what you see in the
various places (Desktop, Home, Computer, Favorites,
Applications, Dock). It's not a one-to-one correspondence,
some things show up in more than one place.

I'm used to each thing on my hard drive showing up ONCE,
with the exception of aliases. I had it set up very neatly,
everything in the hard drive and only current stuff that
gets backed up and moved off on a regular basis sitting
on the desktop.

I'm assuming I'll be doing the same on OSX, and/or it
is the same on OSX, I just don't quite have it clear in
my mind yet.

Again, we don't have to talk about this all summer.

I shut up on this topic now. Let me work with the many
excellent suggestions you've given.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz | Graphite iMac 333mHz
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com

10MB emailbox limit/send no attachments.