[X Newbies] Screenshots

George H-S volvodriver7 at mac.com
Wed May 7 23:57:52 PDT 2003

>> 1. Open Grab.
>> 2. Switch to a different application (let's say Mail for example).
>> 3. Without leaving Mail, go to Mail Menu->Services->Grab. Tell me
>> what's available, if anything.
>> _Chas_

> allow me to chime in on this - Nothing. Grab is running, Mail is
> frontmost, text is selected. 0 happens. Ergo my bias toward Shift Cmd
> 3/4  Though I don't care for the pdf's I've resolved that.
>
> __
> William Lane

Since this inquiring mind wanted to know I did extensive opening/closing of
forty applications looking at Services>Grab in all of them. I found that of
the forty applications I looked at only three seemed to ever have the three
choices of Services>Grab>Screen/Selection/Timed Screen usable: Mail,
Stickies, Text Edit.  It only works on these when the cursor is in the main
body area of the window.  It will then do a screencopy and place it inside
the text area.  In Mail it is an option for a new message when the cursor is
in the BODY: area, not if it is in the TO: or SUBJECT:If I was outside that
area the choices were gray and not selectable.  If any of these applications
are opened but not out front it doesn't work either.  Shift-Cmd-3/4 always
works for me.  Grab seems to be a weak application IMHO.

--
George Henry-Schneider
G4/1.25DP/1GB/FW 800