[X Newbies] RAM need for X

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri May 9 12:36:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:24:01AM -0400, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
:
: I'd like to put Jaguar on my laptop eventually. It started out with
: 64mg, I added 64 at the shop initially for a total of 128mb. Recently
: got another 256mg which they told me maxed it out for a total of
: 320MB. (OWC seems to be selling 512 chip for this machine though.)
:
: So ... to make a short story long, why won't the laptop run Jaguar
: just fine on 320MB RAM? Because it's a G3 compared to the Tower
: which is a G4?

It depends on which notebook you have.  OS X does eat a fair chunk of
CPU and does contain G4 optimizations.  But it also demands a lot from
the graphics chip.  Quartz Extreme offloads a lot of the graphics work
from the CPU to the graphics chip.  But to take advantage of it, you
have to have a supported video card in your notebook.

--
Eugene Lee
http://slate.msn.com/id/1008307/