Screenshots/Photoshop

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Tue May 13 09:16:05 PDT 2003

>Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:23:45 -0400
>From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [X Newbies]
>
>>At 8:36p -0400 2003.05.11, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>>>I have a jpeg that a photographer sent me that seems to have
>>>been made with Photoshop 7.
>
>At 10:25 PM -0400 5/11/03, Vincent Cayenne wrote:
>>What is the actual file name? Does it have a generic document icon or
>>a Photoshop icon or another?
>
>File name as received was P4250199.JPG 1 ---
>The icon when clicked upon gives me "Photoshop 7.0 could not be found" error
>When attempt to open file from within PS6 says "file not a valid Photoshop
>document"
>The icon is a visual thumbnail; the Kind is "document"
>
>When renamed P4250199.JPG ---
>The icon when clicked upon opens file in Quicktime
>When attempt to open file from within PS6 it does FINALLY!!!!
>The icon is a visual thumbnail; after renaming the Kind changes to
>"PictureViewer document"
>
>I thought Macs were not dependent on document suffixes? Well, pre-OSX.
>
>This is OS 9.0.2.
>
>Curiouser and curiouser.
>
>I think, then, that the reason the photos opened so well on the tower is I
>changed
>the names to those easier for me to recognize and so they opened right up.
>I always
>use .gif and .jpg suffixes for consistency, but I didn't think you needed
>them on a Mac
>unless you were trying to view something in a browser.
>
>Anne Keller Smith
>Down to Earth Web Design
>G4 733mHz | Graphite iMac 333mHz
>mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
>http://www.downtoearthweb.com

It depends where they came from. OS 9 requires a "resource fork" that
gives information about the associated application. OS X doesn't use
this (and may not create it, I'm not sure). OS X actually makes an
extension, but hides it. If the extension gets messed up, (like .jpg
1), the file won't be recognized, although you can always force the
application to open it.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html