[X Newbies] Screenshots/Photoshop

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Tue May 13 09:44:15 PDT 2003

Chris Foote tapped out this message on 5/13/2003 12:16 PM

>It depends where they came from. OS 9 requires a "resource fork" that
>gives information about the associated application. OS X doesn't use
>this (and may not create it, I'm not sure). OS X actually makes an
>extension, but hides it. If the extension gets messed up, (like .jpg
>1), the file won't be recognized, although you can always force the
>application to open it.

Speaking of this, I have a problem understanding how to get simple sound
files to open. For example, on OS 9, AOL sound files are in SND
format....(System Sound) If you click on them, they just play even if not
associated with AOL.

On X, AOL's sound files claim they are .au, but nothing will open them. I
tried to find a simple app like SoundApp to no avail. Things were a lot
simpler before and these small problems are what makes me not so crazy
over this system since I think it has lost the Mac "vision".