jpegs, etc.

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue May 13 11:47:56 PDT 2003

Jpegs are jpegs. AFAIK, all digital cameras upload their images as
jpegs. You may or may not have to add the ".jpg" extension to the file
name, but any program that can open jpegs can be coaxed to open the
file.

Usually the easiest app in OS 9 to open the jpegs is PictureViewer, a
component of the (free) player version of QuickTime. I really like
PictureViewer for OS 9 images.

My second choice for jpeg or gif files is any internet browser. Just
drop the image file on IE or Netscape, or whatever.

Third choice for me (but many people's first choice) is Graphic
Converter. It's shareware, and worth the $35, but you can use it for
free if you're willing to tolerate a delay.

A problem in PC to Mac transfers is often the compression method used
on the dark side machine. They have an affinity for zip files, which
aren't used very much over here in the sunshine. Not to worry! Aladdin
Systems' Stuffit Expander will expand zip files as well as the usual
hqx and sit files. (www.aladdinsystems.com) Maybe this is part of your
problem.

Finally, (finally specifically addressing your comment) the only
proprietary Microsoft format I can think of are their formats for
Windows Media Player files. A reader that will read most of these files
is available from MS at their website: mactopia.com

The sureest way (and probably the most nerve-wracking for a newby) to
control the file that opens a document by changing the creator (and
possibly the type) in the file's resource fork. I use an old program
called File Typer in OS 9; other people seem to like File Buddy. In OS
X, FileType is a freeware program that does the trick very nicely. But
these programs are not for the first ninety days or so. ;-)

HTH.

Jon