[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue May 20 12:06:03 PDT 2003

Steven Rogers said:

>>> I would concur with Charles. Especially because unless you know why
>>> you're partitioning, you don't know how big to make the partitions.
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> For general use, I'd recommend partitioning the drive in 3 volumes.
>
>Why?  unless you're dumping raw partitions for backup, there's no
>necessary relationship between what gets backed-up and partitions. A
>"scratch" partition is a complete waste of time. I don't see that an
>"emergency partition" gets you much. Most people are much better off
>with a single volume.

I must concur.  Unless you are an expert user, and you have a lot of time
to backup, restore, and repeat that until you find the optimal size for
partitions, you should probably stay away from partitioning.

It's true that if you have a huge hard drive that each of several
partitions will be plenty big, but then you have wasted a lot of space in
one or more of your partitions.

People who partition their drives for OS X seem to have occurrences of
problems all out of proportion to those who do not. I just don't see the
advantages of partitioning as being a worthwhile trade-off with respect
to stability for ordinary (or, especially, newbie) users.

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't do it if you know what you are
doing.  (And those of you who have already partitioned don't need to
start writing posts says "I partitioned and it worked fine!".
Partitioning can work out fine.  At least in the short term, until your
partition becomes too full for the OS.)  Note that we are on a "Newbies"
list, not an advanced list.

See:
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
Item #12

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common Macintosh OS X Jaguar Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html