[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Tue May 20 13:08:23 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 15:06 Canada/Eastern, Randy B. Singer
wrote:

> It's true that if you have a huge hard drive that each of several
> partitions will be plenty big, but then you have wasted a lot of space
> in
> one or more of your partitions.

Why?

> I just don't see the
> advantages of partitioning as being a worthwhile trade-off with respect
> to stability for ordinary (or, especially, newbie) users.

I agree; I'd say the same: stability comes first. But my experience is
different: I haven't seen any particular problems related to
partitioning, so I don't regard it as a trade-off. On the other hand,
I've dealt with several situations in which an emergency partition (or
second physical drive) would have come in very handily.