[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue May 20 13:38:29 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 02:51 PM, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:

>> IMO, this just adds a layer of complexity with little or no benefit.
>> Does a "newbie" really want to spend the time figuring all this out,
>> and will there be a benefit over simply having these things use the
>> first partition.
>
> That's up to the newbie. I feel we should each offer suggestions that
> reflect our experience. The newbie reads carefully and chooses
> whichever makes sense for him or he is most comfortable with.

But the point is that the newbie has no basis by which to evaluate the
scenario. For example, if someone says that they need two partitions so
they can put installers, temporary files, and other "not to be
backed-up" files in one partition - the newbie may not know that back
up structure need not have anything to do with partitions.

>> Multiple partitions really requires planning and is definitely not a
>> one-size-fits-all scenario.
>
> Quite. That's why this scheme was suggested for "general use".

The partitioning scheme for general use is one partition.

SR