[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue May 20 17:45:00 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 04:40 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:

>> On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 03:08 PM, Steve Rogers wrote:
>> Primarily because there's nothing to gain from it and plenty of
>> things to risk (like picking wrong partition sizes).
>
> Certainly there's something to gain - isolating your user data from
> your system and/or application files.  If there weren't anything to
> gain, nobody would do it and it wouldn't be an issue.

Well, the lemming argument isn't strictly true. Lots of people do it
just because they imagine the system is "better" or faster in some
sense with smaller volumes - which once was true, but not really
anymore. I have a Mac, Win 2000 PE, and Linux system and the only one
that's partitioned is the Linux box so that Sybase can have a partition
on the drive. To me, that's a good reason.

>   To say that partitioning is an "advanced" topic and not recommended
> for beginners is a supportable position; to say that there's nothing
> to gain from it is simply wrong.

I meant nothing for the average user. There's no reason to separate
your apps and data by partition - just put them in separate folders. If
you're doing video production, get a separate drive for gosh sakes.

SR