[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue May 20 17:37:51 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 04:55 PM, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 16:52 Canada/Eastern, Steven Rogers wrote:
>
>>  I don't see how one could advocate creating disk partitions on the
>> basis that its easier for a newbie than picking files from a list.
>
> What do you use for regular backups?

Retrospect

>> But the key is that usually there is some scheme where files of a
>> certain type or use go in one partition, and the whole question is
>> how big it has to be, and what happens if you guess too small or too
>> > large.
>
> Indeed. But this is not rocket science. If you're an average user,
> what you have are various word processing files, some spreadsheets,
> web stuff, and so on. Few of these are likely to be above 5MB. The
> music and image files -- the really big ones -- those go chiefly on a
> separate partition, and you're not going to back them up on a regular
> basis. So a 20GB partition should be adequate for the average user --
> provided there is additional storage on a separate partition.

Perhaps its not rocket science if you consider that the average person
is never going to fill up an 80 GB drive - in a sense, the size of the
partitions doesn't matter - like, how many Word and Appleworks files
does it take to use up several GB of space?

> If you're a graphic designer or into music production or digital
> video, or you need to host a massive database on your machine --
> you're not an average user and you need a different setup.

Sure, but why does the average user need it?

SR