[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Tue May 20 16:17:08 PDT 2003

At 5:55p -0400 2003.05.20, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>If you're a graphic designer or into music production or digital
>video, or you need to host a massive database on your machine --
>you're not an average user and you need a different setup.

And if you're an absolute newbie who has a new iMac and a new DV
camera - in other words, the typical user that Apple
foresaw/created/enticed? The "typical" user you envision is not
necessarily the norm for the _new_ "newbie". The majority of existing
users may well fit that profile, but more and more new users are
entering the picture with little expert-ise and simple needs but
those needs are tech-resource-hungry, so to speak. the Mac in its
current incarnation has made the process simple. So I can readily
shoot 45 mins of family life and elect to edit then burn that to DVD.
But though iMovie has made the process straightforward and even
enjoyable, the fact that large files are being generated has no
direct relationship to the user's computing expertise. It is in fact
more testimony to the capability of the hardware and correlates to
the power of the underlying apps. The car driven testifies to the
driver's credit-worthiness and the marque's engineers but says
nothing about the driver's capabilities as a mechanic...
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]