[X Newbies] Backup Software (Was: Partitioning Drive?)

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Wed May 21 12:00:04 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 13:44 Canada/Eastern, Randy B. Singer
wrote:

> Florin Alexander Neumann said:
>
>> What do you use for regular backups? The pickings are fairly slim on
>> the Mac, so I recommend Retrospect, which has a decent track record
>> (if
>> worse than miserable tech support).
>
> Just a point of fact.  The pickings for backup software on OS X are not
> even close to "slim."  See:

Well, let's see:

> With a .Mac subscription you get a copy of Backup:
> http://www.mac.com/

Requires .mac subscription for full functionality. Disqualified.

> Retrospect

The only serious solution for a Mac user. Rather imperfect -- it has
unexpected bugs and dismal tech support (don't let me get started!),
but, as the French say, faute de mieux, on couche...

> Intego's Personal Back-Up

A possible alternative to Retrospect. I tested it, didn't like it, but
it may get better. A good thing too -- nothing works like a little
competition to spice things up.

> Carbon Copy Cloner

Good tool, but not really a backup tool.

> iMsafe $15

Doesn't do optical, let alone tape.

> Revival

[Your link is broken, and so appear to be links in other places, like
MacUpdate. Does anyone know what happened to this one?]

> Synchronize! Pro X

Again, doesn't do optical. Otherwise, it could be a possible
alternative to Retrospect -- although, at twice the price, not much of
a competitor.

> Synk X

[Your links are broken.] Another sync'ing tool, not really backup. No
longer under development, so who knows if it will work with the next
release of the OS?

> Tri-BACKUP

Didn't know about this one. Sounds like worth trying -- although it's
not clear from the promo if it does optical. Has anyone tested it?

> BackupToolkit

This also is worth looking at, and FWB has an excellent reputation. Has
anyone tested it?

> LaCie SilverKeeper

Lightweight. I suspect LaCie is making it available for free until they
build enough muscle into it. Right now, not in the running.

> Psync, SwitchBack, Folders Synchronizer X, Chronosync

All synchronizers, not really backup tools. There are quite a few
synchronizers out there (we can add ExecutiveSync, FileSynchronization,
and so on), and they can be used for some backup purposes, but -- in my
opinion -- do not replace true backup tools. Back when the world was
young and 500MB was a huge disk, I used to back up with a small, now
defunct, shareware synchronizer called MacUpdate (the best value for $5
I ever got). It worked like a charm. But omnia muntantur...

Morever, in this respect I'd rather not rely on a shareware tool.
Shareware authors -- and some of their stuff is better than some
offerings of 'reputable' companies -- simply do not have the resources
for the kind of testing Dantz or FWB do (or should do).

So, what are we left with for serious consideration? Retrospect, Data
Backup (I don't think you've mentioned this one -- it's from Prosoft
Engineering
<http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/data_backup.php> and the
one I like best after Retrospect), Backup Toolkit (from FWB), and
perhaps Tri-Backup and Personal Backup. That seems to me pretty slim
pickings, relative to the Windows market. (And, let's not forget,
Microsloth doesn't require a subscription to MSN to activate the
bundled backup utility.)

Believe me, I was so annoyed last time I talked to the guys from Dantz
that I'd like nothing better than to switch (and recommend others to
switch) from Retrospect to something else.