Partitioning Drive?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed May 21 15:17:57 PDT 2003

> From: Florin Alexander Neumann <alexn at ica.net>
>

> On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 16:52 Canada/Eastern, Steven Rogers wrote:
>
>>  I don't see how one could advocate creating disk partitions on the
>> basis that its easier for a newbie than picking files from a list.
>
> What do you use for regular backups?

I'm not Steven, but I thought I'd chime in if it's okay.

For bootable systems, I use Carbon Copy Cloner (for bootable drives) or
BootCD (to make "emergency" bootable CD-Rs).

For "normal" data backup (ie to another HD), I use Econ Technologies'
excellent ChronoSync ($20). I can easily specify exactly which folders
I want backed up and how often and the whole thing is done totally
automatically. Couldn't be easier. I'm not sure if CS will do
"bootable" backups, I've never used it for that.

For offsite backups of really important data, I use Backup and my
iDisk. Handy for things like password files, personal documents,
address books, tax records, things like that. Obviously it's not going
to work on gigs of data, but I'm talking about mostly important
TEXT-based files that even in congregate take up less than a dozen meg
or so.

_Chas_

Recently on my blog: The iTunes Music Store. Check it out!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com