[X Newbies] Backup Software (Was: Partitioning Drive?)

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Wed May 21 12:28:49 PDT 2003

At 3:00p -0400 2003.05.21, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>Morever, in this respect I'd rather not rely on a shareware tool.
>Shareware authors -- and some of their stuff is better than some
>offerings of 'reputable' companies -- simply do not have the
>resources for the kind of testing Dantz or FWB do (or should do).

Interesting point - at what point is shareware no longer shareware
but instead a 'reputable' company with the kind of resources to do
extensive testing? I'd cite the authors of GraphicConverter and
VueScan as interesting case studies in this regard. And PackIt begat
StuffIt. I'm sure there are also examples of 'reputable' but short on
adequacy of testing. [BTW: I see new versions of Symantec's Norton
products are in the offing <g>]
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]