[X Newbies] Document Extensions

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sat May 31 11:26:32 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 12:03 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

>  his
> images for his website had no extensions. So I added
> them.
>
> Today, he sent me by email said images and they have double
> extensions, e.g. image002.gif.gif

No problem. Under both Win and OS X the user has the option to hide the
filename extension. Your client had the option on; you thought
extensions were missing, and added them; when he either turned the
option off or used some programme that showed the full file name, he
saw the double extensions.

You can use a batch file renamer (such as NameWiz on Windoze) to remove
the superfluous characters.

To make sure it doesn't happen again, don't rush into changing file
names. Check if the system is set up to show them (Tools>Folder Options
for Win, Finder>Preferences for X). Also, look for visual clues. On
Win, if you don't see the filename extension, but the item's icon is
not a generic file icon, then probably the option to hide extensions is
active.