Sending photos to AOL members

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat May 31 14:12:25 PDT 2003

> From: Gregory Cortelyou <chefgreg at mac.com>
>
> This is so annoying. Whenever I try to send a photo taken with my
> camera and
> processed in iphoto to someone on AOL, they can't open it.

Here is the solution.

If you are sending a single photo, be SURE that it has the extension
.jpg on the filename. This is a common mistake Mac users make. AOL's
idiotic server software does not know what to do with ANY file that
does not have an extension on it. A single photo should send properly
if it has .jpg on it. If it still doesn't or you want to send multiple
photos, see next paragraph

For multiple or problem photos, before attaching the photos to your
email, use Aladdin's DropZip to make a ZIP file of it. Stuffit Expander
can read Zip files just as easily as SIT files and that way you can
send the photo to anyone on any platform without a worry.

Finally, another option for .Mac owners (and probably any other people
with web space) is to make a quick-n-dirty web page of your photos and
simply send the URL in email. That way everyone can see them who
*wants* to, and the people who weren't interested don't have to deal
with MBs of photos in their inbox.

_Chas_

James Lileks, on Apple's iMovie versus XP's Moviemaker:
"Was [my bro-in-law's] machine cheaper? Yes. But time is money; I've
never had to claw my way through the sodden mess of a corporate website
looking for the one driver that will let me do what I want to do. I've
never had to spend a Sunday afternoon trying to understand what iMovie
wants me to do, because it does what *I* want it to do. He said that
Moviemaker made him feel stupid, because he couldn't figure out the
simplest tasks.
I'll say this for his machine, though: if he ever wants to back up that
3.3 GB movie file on floppy disks, he's all set."