[X Newbies] Networking Options

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Nov 4 11:34:38 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:22:13PM -0500, Stephen Foster wrote:
:
: We have a dual-USB iBook (June, 2002) and are getting a G5 (1.8GHz).
: I'd like to know the easiest way to have them share a printer (i.e.
: the best router/hub model, configuration). Although we still can only
: get dial-up access it would be useful, although not essential, to be
: able to plug the iBook into a device rather than unplugging one
: computer from the telephone wall jack and plugging the other in. At
: some point, when we get broadband I suspect, Airport will become the
: method of choice but that's probably three years away and I'm not
: sure if the iBook can handle  Airport Extreme. I've never networked
: two computers and I get confused when I look at the various hubs and
: routers. Suggestions and education are solicited. Thanks, Stephen

You could always get an Airport Extreme Base Station from Apple.  If you
plug your USB printer (assuming it's USB) into the AEBS, the AEBS also
turns your normal printer into a network printer.  Of course be sure
that your printer is supported:

	http://www.apple.com/airport/printcompatibility.html

Also, your AEBS has a built-in V.90 modem and can do a PPP dialup
connection for you.  So you no longer need to worry about connecting a
telephone jack all the time.  The AEBS does it for you, and shares the
connection wirelessly (or wired, if you get a cheap little hub/switch).

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/