[X Newbies] buying a new hard drive...

Birgit Rhoads wdlnd at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 19 17:33:02 PST 2003

Tracy, first open AppleMenu/AboutThis Mac/ SystemProfile and see what
kind of drive you have now.  The newer G5 macs have a different drive
(Serial ATA) as opposed to the older macs.  http://eshop.macsales.com
is a good place to buy online.  Most people I have talked with like IBM
or Maxtor drives, although my daughter's Maxtor died after 1 1/2 years.
When you got your computer you may have gotten 4 little screws that you
hid somewhere.  Or you can use the screws that are holding in your old
drive.  Your manual should tell you how to install the drive.  You can
buy a bigger drive than you currently  have, depends on how much you
want to $$$$.

I should ask if you have run some utilities on your drive like Norton
or Tech Tool or Disk Warrier.  Maybe it is fixable  In order to run the
Utilities properly, boot up from the CD and chose the HD to fix.

Birgit