[X Newbies] buying a new hard drive...

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 00:01:16 PST 2003

On 19/11/03 Birgit Rhoads wrote:

>Most people I have talked with like IBM
>or Maxtor drives, although my daughter's Maxtor died after 1 1/2 years.

FWIW I have heard of a number of people having problems with certain
Maxtor drives although mine is still going after 2 years, so the problem
may have been limited to a particular batch.  I personally know of two
IBM Deskstar drives that failed within six months, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

I currently have a Western Digital and a Maxtor in the G4 and a Fujitsu
in the PowerBook, and in fact Western Digital are the only ones I have
not heard of anyone having problems with.

You will always find someone who will tell you to avoid this or that, but
in practice most of the leading makes are usually reliable.

Just my two penn'orth (two cents in the US).

Chris