[X Newbies] Port 110

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 17:21:49 PST 2003

On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 08:08  PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:

>> On Nov 26, 2003, at 16:14, J wrote:
>> I have NO firewall.
>>

> Well, that's a typically uninformed and unhelpful response from you.
> I suspect that once again, you're more interested in whining and
> complaining than resolving any problem you may have.

I'm wondering why this system has so many problems when I turned off
the firewall in every place I could. Is there one running I don't know
about that can't be turned off?

> a)  If you're using OS X, yes you do have a firewall, whether you're
> aware of it or not.  If you're not using OS X, go post somewhere else.

Why be so nasty about it? I am using all sorts of systems.....including
X which is the only one giving me fits....and it scares me because all
my data is on here now. Geesh. Have a heart.

> b)  The gist of the post you're responding to is that a firewall
> configuration is not likely to be the problem, so stating that you
> have no firewall, however incorrectly, isn't very responsive.

I didn't think it had to do with it but just thought I would mention
that it is turned OFF.
I log into here from elsewhere.

> c)  The suggestion given was to attempt connection to the POP server
> via telnet, to isolate the problem as being within or without
> Mail.app.  Did you do this?  If so, what was the result?  If not, go
> do it and forebear posting on this topic until you can report the
> result.

I don't know how to use Telnet on this. I used it on System 7.5.3 last
time. I have not used it here. Send instructions. How would this show
me why certain accounts sometimes have that port 110 message? I don't
understand it at all.