[X Newbies] Port 110

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 22:15:50 PST 2003

The simplest method of making telnet connection would be to open a
terminal window and enter the command:

	telnet pop.earthlink.net 110

or, whatever the name of your POP server might be.

If you connect, you can generally get out with the keystroke
combination <control><]>.

If you aren't using the OS X firewall--and never have--then, it seems
unlikely that it is blocking port 110. Indeed, you'd have to use
something other than System Preferences to get it to do that.

It seems more likely that Mail isn't set up quite right. The part of
the message about port 110 is probably extraneous and misleading. All
it's telling you is that it can't connect. Who is your ISP?