Cloning a system problem

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 7 09:06:17 PDT 2003

>Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:56:55 -0500
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>From: Mark Gillingham <markgill at uwalumni.com>
>
>I made a clone of system 1 and used CCC to make an image. I did not
>clone the Users directory. When I used the image to restore system2, I
>had no user that could log in not even root.
>
>Next I used CCC to copy over the Users directory, but then I did not
>even get to the log-in. The process stopped at "Application Services."
>
>So, do I have to learn niutil commands in order to create a user? Some
>other strategy?
>
>Mark

Just reclone the system, this time including the users. The process
makes necessary aliases which aren't there if you just do bits, I
suspect. Although, now that I think of it, I think I have cloned just
users.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html