PAP on CUPS with Printer:LWSelect300

Mark Gillingham markgill at uwalumni.com
Fri Oct 24 15:47:48 PDT 2003

  The CUPS FAQ claims that I can print from CUPS to an AppleTalk printer
(e.g., Epson Stylus in the example below). Two questions, if a shared
Personal LaswerWriter 300 is visial through atlookup
(Printer:LWSelect300) can I print to it through CUPS. And, since Print
Center uses CUPS (right?) can I use the Printer Center interface
directly?

My printer does not show up in the AppleTalk default zone so that will
probably not work. I did try to use the IP section to set the print as
follows: pap://*/Printer/LWSelect300 without success.

Would this work if I hosted CUPS from a fink setup, for instance?

Mark

Following is the relevant part of the CUPS FAQ

---

How can I print using AppleTalk?

To set up Appletalk (PAP) printing you first need to open the terminal
and type "atlookup" at the command line. After a delay you should get a
(possibly long) list of appletalk devices on your network. You want to
find the entry for your printer and use that info to form a PAP URI
that you will enter in Print Center when you set up the printer.

When you type "atlookup" it should look something like this:

	macosx% atlookup
	Found 2 entries in zone *
	ff00.2f.80      Stylus PHOTO EX:EPSONLQ2
	ff5f.39.80      imac:Darwin

For this example, here is the corresponding pap URI that you would
enter in "Device URI" for device (pap) using the Print Center
"Advanced" setup:

	pap://*/Stylus%20PHOTO%20EX/EPSONLQ2

Note that the colon is replaced with a forward slash and any spaces in
any names must be replaced with "%20" in the URI. Here it is more
generically:

	pap://zone/Appletalk_Device_Name/protocol