[X Newbies] PAP on CUPS with Printer:LWSelect300

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sat Oct 25 06:02:27 PDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 24, 2003, at 18:47 Canada/Eastern, Mark Gillingham wrote:

> The CUPS FAQ claims that I can print from CUPS to an AppleTalk printer
> (e.g., Epson Stylus in the example below).

Which FAQ is that? The "official" one is to be found at
<http://www.cups.org/faq.php>, and AFAIK, it doesn't contain your
quote. I may be wrong, but what you have there seems to be from the
GIMP-Print FAQ.

> if a shared Personal LaswerWriter 300 is visial through atlookup
> (Printer:LWSelect300) can I print to it through CUPS.

CUPS, as the name says, is a printing system. To print, you need a
compatible printer driver. IIRC, the PLW 300 is a serial-only QuickDraw
printer. (Being shared on AT suggests you have ColorShare installed on
a Mac running 0S 9 or earlier.) Which really means that, CUPS or no
CUPS, you're SOL. Don't take my word for it (I haven't researched this
in depth), but I don't think you'll find a driver for this printer
anywhere. If you insists on using it (after all it's, what, almost 10
years old?), I'd say the best bet is to do so from OS 9. Save your OS X
output as PDF and write an AppleScript to print the PDF automatically
from Acrobat on the OS 9 machine.