[X Newbies] PAP on CUPS with Printer:LWSelect300

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 24 21:57:46 PDT 2003

On 25/10/03 0:47, "Mark Gillingham" <markgill at uwalumni.com> wrote:

> The CUPS FAQ claims that I can print from CUPS to an AppleTalk printer
> (e.g., Epson Stylus in the example below). Two questions, if a shared
> Personal LaswerWriter 300 is visial through atlookup
> (Printer:LWSelect300) can I print to it through CUPS. And, since Print
> Center uses CUPS (right?) can I use the Printer Center interface
> directly?
>
> My printer does not show up in the AppleTalk default zone so that will
> probably not work. I did try to use the IP section to set the print as
> follows: pap://*/Printer/LWSelect300 without success.
>
> Would this work if I hosted CUPS from a fink setup, for instance?
>
> Mark
>
> Following is the relevant part of the CUPS FAQ
>
> ---
>
> How can I print using AppleTalk?
>
> To set up Appletalk (PAP) printing you first need to open the terminal
> and type "atlookup" at the command line. After a delay you should get a
> (possibly long) list of appletalk devices on your network. You want to
> find the entry for your printer and use that info to form a PAP URI
> that you will enter in Print Center when you set up the printer.
>
> When you type "atlookup" it should look something like this:
>
> macosx% atlookup
> Found 2 entries in zone *
> ff00.2f.80      Stylus PHOTO EX:EPSONLQ2
> ff5f.39.80      imac:Darwin
>
> For this example, here is the corresponding pap URI that you would
> enter in "Device URI" for device (pap) using the Print Center
> "Advanced" setup:
>
> pap://*/Stylus%20PHOTO%20EX/EPSONLQ2
>
> Note that the colon is replaced with a forward slash and any spaces in
> any names must be replaced with "%20" in the URI. Here it is more
> generically:
>
> pap://zone/Appletalk_Device_Name/protocol

Hello

If you manage to make the APLW 300 under X I'll buy you a nice meal if you
come to Paris / France

In the mean time you can sign the petition :
"Apple to support APPLE LaserWriter 300 in MAC OS X²
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Ap1c1/petition.html

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Cyril Blanc
France

If you want to be sure I read your answer leave my name in it !
Spam mails are directly going to trash