[X Newbies] PAP on CUPS with Printer:LWSelect300 /serial printing

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 27 18:27:02 PST 2003

On 25/10/03 17:35, "Mark Gillingham" <markgill at uwalumni.com> wrote:

 I'd say the best bet is to do so from OS
>> 9. Save your OS X output as PDF and write an AppleScript to print the
>> PDF automatically from Acrobat on the OS 9 machine.
>>
> Thanks for your advice. I see better how silly I have been.

Hello

You are not silly !

My PLW300 is not 10 year old I have bought it less than 5 year ago and I am
still on it¹s first tone cartridge. Shame is on Apple not to provide upward
compatibility of it¹s own printers !

I cannot print PDF my PLW 300 in OS 9, I have the message "not enough
memory".
In OS 9, I print with no problems "big" musical scores out of Logic Audio,
letters written with Word.....

If you visit :
http://www.geethree.com/StealthPanther.html
You can read :

> Stealth and Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
>
> Updated to version 1.2.   Required for Mac OS X 10.3. For earlier versions of
> Mac OS X, please  use version 1.1 .
>
> The main benefit of the   Stealth Serial Port is that it provides a "native"
> serial   port that behaves just as if it was built-in the G4 or G3 system.
> With OS X, the Stealth provides that same level of compatibility- if it works
> with built-in serial port on a Beige G3 running Mac OS X then it will work
> with a Stealth.
> Note - Apple has stated that LocalTalk will not be supported in OS X, so
> LocalTalk printers will not work with the   Stealth under OS X (and under
> Classic). Also, your serial peripheral     may require its own OS X drivers to
> work under OS X - please check  with the vendor of your serial device. This
> update is not required   for Mac OS 9.x users.

I don't know if I am right but it's looks that now the serial port can be
seen by the "Print center", if it is true it is one step ahead.

May be GeeThree can explain a bit more !

Is there is a utility to easily build print drivers in OS X ?

15 years ago I have made a lot of print drivers on a VAX system for there
own word processor ³WIPS PLUS ³!

Best regards

Cyril Blanc
France

Please sign the petition ³Apple to support APPLE LaserWriter 300 in MAC OS
X²
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Ap1c1/petition.html

If you want to be sure I read your answer leave my name in it !
Spam mails are directly going to trash