[X Newbies] PAP on CUPS with Printer:LWSelect300 /serial printing

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Tue Oct 28 15:23:06 PST 2003

On Monday, Oct 27, 2003, at 21:27 Canada/Eastern, Cyril Blanc wrote:

> My PLW300 is not 10 year old I have bought it less than 5 year ago and
> I am
> still on it¹s first tone cartridge.

Wasn't it discontinued in the mid-90s?

> Shame is on Apple not to provide upward
> compatibility of it¹s own printers !

Get real. Apple is not a charitable NGO, it's a business whose raison
d'etre is to generate profit for its shareholders. Period. It cannot
profitably support obsolete peripherals -- especially if you can
replace them reasonably cheaply. You can buy an OS X-compatible printer
-- with colour and higher resolution -- for less than EUR 80.

> If you visit :
> http://www.geethree.com/StealthPanther.html

And you will also notice that not only is the Stealth Serial Port USD
49 -- not much less than a new printer -- but you also have to discard
the internal modem to use it. Even if a printer driver did exist, I
doubt that it would constitute an attractive proposition.