[X Newbies] Haunted by users...

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 21 12:43:46 PDT 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 03:20  PM, Clive Read wrote:

> I found this incredibly encouraging.

LOL Clive, sorry if I upset you, but, the 'experts' have said it and so
if it's good enough for them I guess it's good enough for me.

> Themacintoshlady is one of a handful or more of people on this Group
> who I
> believed knew the OS X answers. Today I find that it is NOT ONLY ME
> who has
> problems and can't sort out how to solve them.

There are just some things on X that defy all explanation.
These crash reports are a perfect example.

I do know that in 9 when I got that kind of error, it was a rare
hardware problem, and it was fixed.
Since this fellow's machine is just out of the box, I have no idea what
could be wrong. A transient error? Something to do with slow dialup
speeds? Even on OS 9, things like AOL 5 and Netscape 4.8 work perfectly
for me due to having a well-maintained machine and "one of the best
connection speeds in the country" according to all tests. Some web apps
don't seem to like slow dialup speeds and seem to behave worse.

> Like moving to Entourage and NOT being able to import messages from
> 'Mail'
> because it isn't one of the options. So frustrating! But I found a
> workaround by looking-up manually.

Well, if it's not written into the software, it's as you say, simply
not an option. At least you know why....

>  But if even the 'experts' are frustrated - hey, I'm in good company!

Well said. There are limits to what control we have over some things.
If there is a solution to this problem of apps crashing for no apparent
reason, I'd be glad to hear it.

As for his application, I already sent him a complete list of the files
to trash since I know it well. After that I have no answers.
Mine has done this and I've just ignored it.