[X Newbies] Haunted by users...

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sun Sep 21 12:45:26 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Sep 21, 2003, at 14:54 Canada/Eastern, J wrote:

> What to do with users who simply won't understand that reporting every
> little crash they get is NOT going to help them fix it and they should
> it ignore it?

Educate them.

> But now, I am getting emails from users with these huge crash reports,
> starting with the
>
> Exception:  EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (0x0002)
> Code[0]:    0x00000002Code[1]:    0xa02212a0

Then they're incomplete. They should start with date, time, OS version,
host.

> Since his setup is exactly like mine, and was done at the dealer
> (10.2.6, 512 RAM) I don't have a clue what could be wrong.

That's what the crash log should tell you -- if you examine carefully.
You have to post more details if you expect helpful answer. "Exactly
like mine" doesn't necessarily mean quite what it sounds. For instance,
he may have a bad RAM chip. Or he may be trying commands you don't try.

> I am not used to machines crashing like this.

Are you talking of machine crashes, or applications crashes?

> And like many, I do not know what the crash reports mean [...]

That's why some spend years learning programming.