OS X file sharing setup question

Andy Caldwell, AIA andy at rwmaia.com
Mon Sep 22 12:15:54 PDT 2003

Running a new G-5 1.6 gHz model with standard OS 10.2.7.   NOT running
Apple's Server OS.

I have the hard drive partitioned into three drives, one of which I want to
share with the other 6 computers on our network.  Currently running OS9 on
the other machines.

The G-5's partitions and access needs are as follows:
"System" partition:       No one needs network access
"Server" partition:       Everyone needs network access.  I set up a group
for this, see below.
"Office" partition         Only one other user needs access.

When attempting to connect to the G-5's "Server" drive via OS9 Chooser,
there's an error "The connection to this server has been unexpectedly
broken."

I went through the OSX Missing Manual book, Networking chapter, section on
Managing Groups.  Using NetInfo Manager I set up a group of users and then
assigned that group access privileges for the "Server" partition in
question.
I can connect to the G-5 using the IP address, but the "Server" partition is
only available to users with Admin privileges  on the G-5.  And with those
Admin privileges the other two partitions are also available, which I don't
want.

Any advice on how to set this up properly would be appreciated.

Andy

Andy Caldwell, AIA
Robert Wilson Mobley Partnership
A R C H I T E C T S