[X Newbies] OSX not dial-up friendly

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Sep 24 11:45:24 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:25:01AM -0700, Kevin Stevens wrote:
:
: On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Deb Hagen wrote:
: >
: > Why can't there just be a checkbox to "disconnect after getting the
: > mail" like I used to do in Outlook Express?  I don't want to
: > "disconnect if idle" because that's what my ISP does to me if I take
: > too long reading a particular Web page before clicking again.  I use
: > the same method as Paul: start up OS X Mail & internet connection, then
: > go make coffee.  It seems that OE wins in this category, IMHO!
:
: Because you, or other users on your computer at the same time, or
: background processes you have scheduled to run at certain times, may be
: using the connection for something else.  Mail has no way of knowing this,
: and no authority to yank the connection out from whatever else might be
: using it.

But Mail.app is working on behalf of the user, who may (or may not) know
absolutely when the connection is in use and for what purpose.  I wonder
if it's possible to write an AppleScript that launches Internet Connect
to get a dialup connection, then launches Mail.app to download mail, and
finally disconnect the dialup connection.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/