[X Newbies] OSX not dial-up friendly

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Sep 24 14:18:12 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:47:58PM -0400, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
:
: On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 14:07 Canada/Eastern, David Crandon
: wrote:
:
: >True, however you could set it to disconnect after just one minute....
:
: I don't think that's really the issue. The problem is to distinguish
: between applications and operating system. Granted, that's not always a
: simple matter, but for the average user it's best if that distinction
: is clearly made. Paul's and Deb's comments are a bit like saying, "I
: have this CD player, and I don't like it, because it only plays rock
: 'n' roll." Once the the distinction between the former and the latter
: is understood, then the user is much more closer to getting the whole
: chain to play the music he wants when and how he wants it -- which is
: the point, after all.

But then you run into some rocky waters of UI.  Should the user really
need to understand the difference between an app and the underlying OS?
And if the procedure to accomplish a task becomes complex, is it the
role of the user to adapt to the computer?  Or is it the role of the
computer hardware/software maker to adapt to the user?  :-)

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/