[X Newbies] Trouble Wth trying to Update OS8.1

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Sep 24 14:29:15 PDT 2003

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 04:25:49PM -0400, TDavis8810 at aol.com wrote:
:
: Would someone please help me… Being 82 Yr's old and a little slow
: on the uptake in my mind… No excuse just getting old .... I' am
: sure that there is some young MAC genius out there who will have the
: answer… I have a Pwr.Mac-6500 -300 Mhz processor and 6GB HD. And
: full complement of installed Ram.  I' am using OS 8.1 and want to
: upgrade to OS 8.6 ___ I have OS 8.5 but no update from OS 8.1 to OS
: 8.5 .... It seems to me that I can only update by installing OS 8.5
: from scratch and that means erasing my HD, and then having to
: reinstall all my software. I do not want to do this I'd like to just
: upgrade from Mac 8.1 to Mac 8.6 ... Pls. You very intelligent young
: Mac people I'd bet you have the answer ... I will appreciate it very
: much if you will enlighten me .. Thank You

This mailing list is for Mac OS X help.  So it's not really the right
place to ask your question about Mac OS 8.x upgrades.

Having said this, you should be able to install Mac OS 8.5 on top of
your current Mac OS 8.1 without erasing your hard drive.  Does the
installer force you to erase your hard drive?

Of course, before any OS upgrade, you should back up your hard drive.
And if your Power Mac 6500 has any room, you can actually buy and
install an IDE hard drive.

Also, it might be worth the trip to visit your nearest Apple Store.

	http://www.apple.com/retail/

Or at least see if there is a Mac user group in your city or state.

	http://www.apple.com/usergroups/

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/