[X Newbies] Trouble Wth trying to Update OS8.1

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Wed Sep 24 14:55:07 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 16:25 Canada/Eastern, TDavis8810 at aol.com
wrote:

> I have a Pwr.Mac-6500 -300
> Mhz processor and 6GB HD. And full complement of installed Ram.  I' am
> using
> OS 8.1 and want to upgrade to OS 8.6 ___ I have OS 8.5 but no update
> from OS
> 8.1 to OS 8.5 .... It seems to me that I can only update by installing
> OS 8.5
> from scratch and that means erasing my HD [...]

That is not necessary. You do not need to reformat or reinitialize the
drive prior to installing 8.5, unless you want to use the new file
system (HFS+). You do, however, need to do a clean install of 8.5,
because problems have been reported when 8.5 was installed over 8.1.
When you do a clean install, your old System Folder will be disabled
and renamed Previous System Folder. Subsequently, you will need to
re-install manually extensions, control panels, fonts, etc., you added
to your system. In most cases, just dragging them over from the
previous system folder should do the job.

However, you should always do a complete backup before installing the
new operating system -- you never know what may go wrong. You may also
wish to check the following tips prior to installing 8.5.

<http://www.macnn.com/MacTips/archive/tip39.shtml>
<http://www.computerbits.com/archive/1998/1200/mac9812.html>

Best of luck, f