[X Newbies] Problems Installing Apps

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Apr 1 10:23:42 PST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 1, 2004, at 10:02 Canada/Eastern, Michael Winter wrote:

> [...] If, however, its adding stuff to other parts of the system it
> will require a password. In fact I always thought it was a good thing
> if it didn't require a password because that meant it could only mess
> up my user space, not the entire system. Isn't that the way it works?

Yep. That's why a properly designed Mac OS X app shouldn't require an
installer. All you should have to do is drag-and-drop it to the Apps
folder (e.g., Toast 6). At worst, it should use Apple's installer, then
at least you can see with the Show Files command what it plans to
install. I'm deeply distrustful (read paranoid) about third-party
installers (e.g., as used by Norton SystemWorks or Forty-Two): I hate
to give an installer what amounts to root privs without knowing
precisely what it's going to do.