[X Newbies] help! cd, net and help viewer gone south

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Apr 2 06:39:37 PST 2004

On Friday, Apr 2, 2004, at 04:18 Canada/Eastern, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On 4/2/04 11:15 AM, "Michel Eytan" <eytan at umb.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
>> I can no longer get CDs to mount on my iBook G4 under Panther connect
>> to the
>> Net, or ask questions in Mac Help.
>>
>> The only thing I have modified is to plug in a Logitech Cordless Mouse
>> without any driver, the CD that came with the mouse' only had a OS9
>> driver)...
>
> Have you tried unplugging the mouse?
>
> If not, open Disk Utility (in your /Applications/Utilities folder),
> select
> your disk, click the First Aid tab, then click Repair Permissions.
> [...]

Next, use the basic troubleshooting technique in OS X: create a new
user and see if you can reproduce the problem (cf.
<http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html#Anchor-58320>.

This is a first step towards isolating the problem. If the new user has
the same issues, then the problem is system-wide; if not, then the
problem is with your settings, and you cant take it from there.