[X Newbies] Desktop Problems

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 10 04:07:35 PDT 2004

On 9/4/04 Charles Martin wrote:

>Yes, I know what causes it and how to cure it.
>
>Here's the root of the problem: there is an invisible grid in Mac OS X
>that the icons align to [......] for those of us more comfortable with
smaller icons.... it's annoying.
Thanks for this.  It does seem to be the cause of the problem although it
only started after I opened a file on another (internal) drive.  I also
like smaller icons,the larger ones being too much like child's toys for
my liking.

> the
>problem is that you have some item on your desktop that is sitting too
>close to the drive icons. Move the offending item(s) far away from the
>drive icons and they will stop "moving."
Unfortunately I have my dock pinned to the top right corner using
Tinkertool and for preference my drives are there as well.  I seem to
have to move them a long way from the dock so your comments on the
coarseness of the grid seem to be correct.  Their position does seem to
have a random element about it does when I mount a firewire drive.

X does seem to be full of these irritating 'features'  (sigh).

cheers,

Chris