[X Newbies] Jaguar vs. Panther

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 00:32:22 PDT 2004

On 11/4/04 Vincent Cayenne wrote:

>At 11:08 PM -0500 4/10/04, Dale Critchley wrote:
>>I'm trying to decide between Jaguar & Panther
>
>Panther's performance is significantly better and may just allow the
>use of OS X on a 300 MHz G3 to be satisfactory (with sufficient
>memory). Jaguar probably won't.

FWIW I have just gone over to 'X' full time, although I've had it on a
separate drive since 10.1.   Panther is noticeably faster on a G4/400
(448Mb Ram) than Jaguar, and is the first incarnation that I have felt
really comfortable with.  My nephew runs an iMac G3/500 with Panther and
although he only has 256Mb Ram it seems to work OK.  Certainly it is very
usable although more Ram would be better.

cheers,

Chris