[X Newbies] Jaguar vs. Panther

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Apr 11 08:14:24 PDT 2004

Dale Critchley said:

>I'm looking into setting up my wife's iBook (300 MHz) with OS X.

It is quite possible that this would not be a satisfactory setup.  At
300MHz, OS X (especially Jaguar) would be on the pokey side.  But even
more importantly, depending on how your iBook came from Apple, it can
have, maximum, either 288 or 320MB of RAM.

That amount of RAM might not be enough to get decent performance from
Panther.  So you may be in trouble if you go with either Jaguar or
Panther.

Also, your wife's iBook came with, at maximum, a 6GB hard drive.  OS X is
a large installation, and you would have to leave OS 9 on the drive if
you want to be able to use Classic.  OS X likes to have a large amount of
free contiguous hard drive space for things such as caches, scratch
space, virtual memory, system databases, etc., to run well.  Lack of free
contiguous hard drive space might further impact performance.

If I had a 300MHz iBook, I would stick with OS 9.  If you are really
intent on trying OS X on it, I would do a full backup of the hard drive
first, so that if OS X turns out to be a disaster you can erase the drive
and easily restore your machine to the way it was before updating to OS X.

Sorry to be negative, but I believe that updating to OS X will cause you
a lot of heartache on the Mac that you have.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html