[X Newbies] OT: "Propaganda"

Aranzazu caranzazu at union-city.k12.nj.us
Fri Apr 16 07:17:23 PDT 2004

>On Thursday, Apr 15, 2004, at 09:40 Canada/Eastern, Aranzazu wrote:
>
>>  That is extremely rude of you to "suggest" to anyone to change their
>>  signature. Personally I find your "suggestion" to be very offensive
>>  and unwelcome. Should it not be up to the individual to put what they
>>  wish in their signature.
>
>So, it would be alright with you to put in a sig a slogan denying the
>Holocaust, praising the 9/11 and 3/11 attacks or the Oklahoma bombing,
>or the slaughter of the Tutsis, etc., etc.? Or perhaps one insulting
>the Jewish or Muslim or Hindu faiths? Or persons of Hispanic descent?

Why not. I am Half native American and i have to deal with the image
of my people being distorted daily. everything from the wooden Indian
at the local cigar shop to seeing how we are depicted in movies and
American culture. How would you like to grow up with the constant
media and cultural bombardment of your people always being called
barbarian murdering savages? My people are insulted every day, most
Americans play cowboys and Indians as a child and they are taught
that the Indians are the bad guys. Does your own government deny the
fact that they tried to commit genocide on your people by offering 5
dollars for your scalp. and sending there army after your ancestors?

The other half of me is Latino. or as you so offensively put it
Hispanic. I will not go any further into this cause it is just
beating dead horse.

Don't try to cover the issue of individual expression by talking
about the horrors or ignorance of others.

>>  In an open forum like this you have to take
>>  the good with the bad the offensive and the pleasant comments.
>
>Only if they concern the Mac. And not even then. Would you find it
>acceptable if I expressed my disagreement with you about the advantages
>of partitioning the boot drive by a volley of what is euphemistically
>known as "four-letter words"?

yes this forum is about Macs and it should stay that way. thread like
this really should not be started in the first place.

>There are rules of civilized behaviour even in public places, and
>even more so in those which aren't entirely public. This place a
>meeting space for people with interest in Macs, who come here by
>choice and have a right not to have their religious (or political)
>sentiments offended by other subscribers' sigs.

yes you are right there are rules of civilized behavior and of
decency. and i personally feel that you are not following said rules.
do you see someone on the street dressed in shirt that you find
offensive and "suggest" to them that they should go home and change
there shirt???? I would hope not. yet you "suggest" to someone to
change there sig??? that persons shirt and that persons sig is form
of individual expression and it should not be edited in any way. even
if it is a "KMFDM" shirt, a "make love to war" shirt, "impeach bush
shirt", or a "Jesus loves you" shirt.

Just as you have been been allowed to express yourself here on the
forum so should others. Even if it is in the form of a signature.
--
From
Aranzazu

This message has been scanned for virus detection by the
Union City School's e-mail system. Un-cleanable attachments
have been deleted and the sender notified