[X Newbies] OT: "Propaganda"

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Apr 16 10:50:29 PDT 2004

On Friday, Apr 16, 2004, at 10:17 Canada/Eastern, Aranzazu wrote:

> [...] The other half of me is Latino. or as you so offensively put it
> Hispanic. [...]

<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hispanic>

Additional points:

(1) Why did you think this was a reference to you? (If it's your name,
I was always under the impression that Aranzazu was Euskal, not Spanish
-- please do correct me if I'm wrong.)

(2) Should anyone here refer to you as "Hispanic", and should this
reference be offensive to you, all you need to do is say so. The whole
point of this conversation is about it. Some, no doubt, will argue that
it's their constitutional right to go on using it as much as they wish;
or, perhaps, that they do not wish to privilege a certain
Weltanschauung. But those with good taste and manners will get your
point.

(3) Some apparently have missed that my original post (which did _not_
start this thread) was not about Charles and his rather pathetical
sigs. I first contacted the person in question off-list, and only when
no reply was forthcoming, did I post something to the list. Since then,
he did reply off-list, and the issue, I believe, has been settled to
mutual satisfaction. As to the sigs you are so exercised about, true, I
find them slightly (and sadly) annoying, but not enough to make a fuss
about them. And, yes, I do think it would be nice if we left out of a
Mac list anything having to do with politics, religion, or race, and it
seems to me the reason why should be pretty obvious by now.

> [...] do you see someone on the street dressed in shirt that you find
> offensive and "suggest" to them that they should go home and change
> there shirt????

This is not the street.