Hard drive space

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 11:00:38 PDT 2004

> From: Jennifer Thomas <jthomas at thevoicecoach.com>
>   I have a year 2000 model iMac (version = 32.1) 350 Mhz, Power PC G3
> using
> Mac OSX 10.2.8.  I do not have firewire.

I trust that you have started a savings account for your next computer,
but in the meantime let's see if we can help you with this one.

> My capacity hard drive space is 6.99 GB, but I'm down to 555.9 MB

This is very bad. OS X needs lots of free space for temp files and swap
space. As you've already concluded, your hard drive is too small to
sustain a full installation of OS X and the apps you need.

> The only large files I have left are in iTunes and iPhoto.  Are there
> any duplicates that
> these apps store that I could delete?

There's a program called "iPhoto Diet" that deletes the original photos
and keeps the iPhoto copy (which you may have rotated or
altered/cropped/fixed). While this will save you some space, I can't
recommend this idea as it is always a bad move to delete the original.
You might consider exporting your iPhoto photos (at least some of them
to a CD-burner (if you have one) or to another hard drive (if you have
one). Or just have a larger hard drive installed and have the people
who do that for you copy the contents of your current hard drive over
to it.

> Also, how large a hard drive can I install in my computer?

120GB, which would do you a world of good and are attractively priced
at the moment. If you look for a model that offers 8MB of cache and has
a speed of 7200RPM, you'll notice a significant speed bump as well. I'd
recommend you purchase and install one at your earliest opportunity.

If you're not in a position to buy a newer computer anytime soon, you
might also investigate whether the HARMONi upgrade from
http://www.sonnettech.com is cost-effective for you. Among other
benefits (speed), it adds a Firewire port that would enable you to add
external Firewire CD-burners and hard drives -- in effect giving you a
whole new computer.

_Chas_

Read the PDB of August 6th, 2001 for yourself:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/images/04/10/whitehouse.pdf
and then tell me how the President could go on vacation for a month.