[X Newbies] Uninstalling OS X How to do it completely?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Apr 22 21:08:25 PDT 2004

John Erdman said:

>	Now I'm left with an unwanted version of OS 10.1.2 on that partition.
>How can I thoroughly remove the OS from that partiton? I've looked in
>the Apple knowledge base and didn't uncover any references. Nor did I
>find anything in Apple Help (but that wasn't a surprise was it?)
>
>	Of course I can start to toss system-looking folders, but Im a little
>fearful of tossing something important. Moreover it's likely I'd miss a
>good many things. And further I'd like to remove everything the
>installer installed this AM including the apps.
>
>Any suggestions for how to proceed from here?

There is no uninstaller for OS X.  There was an unofficial unsupported
AppleScript from Apple that would throughly uninstall OS X 10.0, but they
didn't updated it for newer versions of the Mac OS.

You are correct that trying to uninstall OS X via drag and trash will
leave hundreds of invisible files untouched.

Your choices are to upgrade the version of OS X on your drive to a newer
version, or to backup up your drive, erase it, and then to restore your
data and files, but not OS X.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html